April 1, 2011

Review: ELF Beauty Book "Eye Brights Edition"

I had Never seen these Beauty Books in my drugstore so when I was at my local Ross, and started jumping for Joy, not literally of course, from finding this all by itself in the clearance aisle. To my Surprise, it was still in mint condition and not defiled or broken into bits so I immediaty took it to the cash register and claimed it to be mine.

Here are the main reasons I was SOOOO Pumped for this pallet. It seemed like all the swatches and reviews I've seen on this are nothing but gorgeously pigmented and good. Not to Mention I remember a couple of people saying that most of these colors are Dupes for one of Urban Decay's Book of Shadows. Obviously I am aware that the Quality will most likely not rival the Urban Decay shadows at all, BUT considering that I am way too broke to afford one of those, this was the closest I'd ever get to owning one.

That being said here's my Opinion on this:



 Although I myself never use these little guide things because I rather experiment myself, I do thing this would be rather useful for beginners.

I'll explain the dig marks in a second.

Now for the Swatches:


Retail Price: $5, but I got it for $4.50 at Ross.
Amount: 0.85 oz.
Available colors: Eye Brights Edition, Neutral Eye Edition, Smokey Eye Edition
What is it?: 12 Eyeshadows, 1 Eyeliner pencil, 1 sponge tip applicator

So when I got Home, the first thing I did was wash my hands(Germaphobe) so I could start swatching this baby as soon as I can and BOY was I SOOOOOO disappointed. >______<'

Four these are Utter duds and the colors that I thought were going to amazing were horribly sheer. As you can see The first 3 of the TOP row going left to right and the first shadow of the second are basically just shimmer, and if you think you see any color its because I repetitively swatched it to try and get a decent swatch. The Medium green, purple, and the Blue with a hint of green and yellow were the colors I was most excited about but they are SO sheer; the green a bit more sheer then the blue and purple though. D;

Don't even get me started on the Sparkly Black. Yes, according to the swatch above your were probably thinking "Holy Cow! That Black looks so pigmented!" or "But this pallet can't be that Bad.. The Black looks Awesome. D:" am I right? But Nope. At first swatch it is a chalky Balled up mess. It wasn't until I rubbing my finger back and forth a few times, for the black you actually see of there.

 Thanks goodness that NOT ALL of the colors are useless. The Brown, Taupe(very top right) and the Red are delightful, not the most pigmented but workable none the less. In the Okay-ish range is the silver in the bottom left corner. The Silver is the most interesting or unique of the colors in my opinion because although its chalky and all, on close inspection it has multicolor glitters.

NOW, onto describing the textures of these shadows. The majority of them just feel like your  running your fingers across them and flattening them out and still not getting any product off. Because the texture was odd I decided to use a brush to see if that would help any and yes, it got some product out, but you were also digging the product out too(Explanation to the nicks and marks). The only the ones I mention in the paragraph before this didn't have that texture and you could get the shadows onto you finger/brush easily.

The Black Pencil Eyeliner: I guess it'd be Okay if your a beginner, BUT I wouldn't suggest you use it considering its feels like it would easily smudge.

Overall:
1 out of 5
Maybe I just got a bad one, but I'm definitely not going to chance it again. Although there were 3 or 12 eye shadows that were decent, they weren't even THAT good. :T A total waste of my 5 bucks, of which I could've spent on the Wet n' Wild palettes that I know are good quality. To also point something out, even though is was a Dud in my book for ELF Cosmetics, It doesn't mean I don't like the company. There are many of their products that  I do like and stuff I want to try.

Despite the fact that I don't like this palette much at all, I still created a look using it.


No comments:

Post a Comment